My friend Gary Negbaur shared with me his Two Hyundai Theory of
Wealth, and he was gracious enough to allow me to share it here.
"Right after college I was driving a Hyundai. Not a great car, I know, but hey - it got me around, and it was cheap. It was scratched up with dents and nicks, but so what? It got me from A to B.
One time I went out for coffee with one of my former professors, and he picked me up in his car, a new two-seater BWM. As he was driving and parking that car,
he was so incredibly stressed out about getting it scratched. I was thinking - does he own this BWM, or does the BWM own him?
This led me to develop my Two Hyundai Theory of Wealth:
If I were rich, a multi-millionaire, let’s say, I wouldn't go out and buy the most expensive car I could afford. What's the point of that? Then, I’m going to have to worry about it getting scratched or stolen. It would be a source of stress. Instead, I'd go out and buy a second Hyundai.
Because if I own two Hyundais, then I’ve really got nothing to worry about. If I wreck one of them or if it’s stolen or breaks down…no problem, I've got another one at home.
What's the advantage of having more money if it just leads to more things that stress you out? For me, the whole point of wealth is to make your life less stressful. So, buy yourself two Hyundais."
- December (5)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (4)
- June (4)
- May (21)
- April (40)
- March (5)
- February (1)
- January (24)
- December (27)
- November (4)
- October (9)
- September (1)
- August (1)
- July (1)
- June (21)
- May (32)
- April (33)
- "No, that one to the left with sprinkles..."
- The dye in M&Ms is making my kid hyperactive!
- Even Jesus takes breaks
- False precision
- Detroit Auto Show - hunting for the aux jack
- Book recommendation: The Lost Books of the Odyssey...
- Making it hard to cancel - a great way to really a...
- This light switch is off limits
- Hint when printing Powerpoint slides
- Nice picture!
- United Airlines: The hard cross-sell during the Ea...
- Could the Japanese earthquake have doomed the Liby...
- 40 years of safe operation
- NYT Pricing: I'd like to subscribe, just don't del...
- Hint when presenting Powerpoint slides
- Best site for cheap used books
- Free: One-Day Consulting Bootcamp in NYC on May 6
- Get free audiobooks at Librivox.com
- 85 Octane?
- "The time entered does not exist"
- Sometimes people need to sleep at airports
- Pretty impressive, unless it isn't
- Nanny Caddy
- Enjoy the view?
- Misleading chart in Freakanomics
- This door ought to open outwards
- The greatest thing since bread sliced to order
- Why is the text on movie advertisements hard to re...
- Tour of the Steinway Factory
- Gary's Two Hyundai Theory of Wealth
- Could we be at the peak of foreign language studie...
- Frozen in your tracks
- A moment of silence for the passing of Rev. Peter ...
- Sophisticated junk mail - I suppose this must work...
- February (31)
- January (31)