I am offering a free, one-day Consulting Bootcamp on Friday, May 6, 2011 in New York City. Space is limited to eight attendees, and applications are due by March 31.
What is Consulting Bootcamp?
Consulting Bootcamp provides business professionals a rapid introduction to management consulting skills. The one-day course is highly interactive, with 25% lecture and 75% participation in a series of exercises. The integrated set of exercises take participants through key stages of a consulting engagement and are based on an actual consulting project. The highly interactive nature of the material is designed to encourage the development of connections among attendees that last beyond the completion of the course.
Who should consider attending?
Consulting Bootcamp assumes a working knowledge of accounting, finance, and economics. It is designed for mid-career, business professionals who have not worked in a consulting firm. The program is modeled on the introductory course given to incoming Associates at a top strategy consulting firm. The course benefits managers working within an organization as well as experienced professionals planning to establish their own independent consulting practice.
- Problem solving process
- Defining the problem
- Structuring the problem using hypothesis trees and issue trees
- Prioritizing issues
- Interviewing skills
- Developing an interview guide
- Asking open-ended questions
- Handling challenging interviewees
- Performing compelling analysis
- Preparing a data request
- Identifying the analysis with a "so-what"
- Designing an effective slide to communicate the result
- Creating effective presentations
- Preparing the "ghost" of a document
- Crafting an effective storyline
- Influencing skills
- Using a portfolio of influence techniques
- Partnering with clients to create impact
- Designing an implementation plan
- Building a successful independent consulting practice
- Generating leads
- Practical matters (non-disclosure agreements, contracts, getting a LLC, branded email, etc.)
- Negotiating fees
How to apply
1) Send an email explaining why you would like to attend by March 31 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Those admitted will be informed by April 8.
2) (optional) Join the Consulting Bootcamp group on LinkedIn:
Where will the course take place?
I'm searching for an organization that will donate space for a day. I'm looking for a conference room in Manhattan that can comfortably hold 9 people, with space for flip charts and a white board. If you have such a space in your office and would be willing to allow us to use your facility for a day, I'd be much obliged.
Why is the program free?
1) I love to teach. Making the course free makes it easier to assemble a great group of attendees.
2) Preparing for and delivering this training program drives me to revisit the basics of my craft, which helps me sharpen my own consulting skills.
I am a management consultant with five years of experience at McKinsey & Co. In 2008 I founded The Bachman Group, LLC, which has provided strategy and operations consulting services to businesses that range in size from $5 million to $50 billion in revenue. I have deep experience partnering with clients to achieve significant and sustained improvements in their performance. I've served clients in a wide range of industries, including private equity, pharma, specialty chemicals, nuclear power generation, for-profit education, call centers, retail, and high tech, among others.
See also my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.
Please forward to individuals who might be interested.